First up, if you're not following me on tumblr, here's where I'm at. Prepare yourself for lots of Peter Capaldi because I don't have problems, you have problems.
ALSO! I've been named Blog Editor at Word Riot, so expect to see more over there that isn't just my Notes From Elsewhere. (There have been a few updates over there since I last did one of these roundups, so do check it out. Lots of good stuff, including the Twitter-published David Mitchell story.)
And with that, here's the Stuff I've Written at Persephone Magazine:
- Pearl by Janis Joplin (a classic!)
- The Community College Comes A’Callin,’ Part 2 (In which I actually monetize being a strange obsessive)
- Mirage by Fleetwood Mac (since I realized that I only have Tusk on CD and cassette)
- Voodoo Doughnut Recording’s “Triple Chocolate Penetration” (novelty 45s FTW)
- New Sensations by Lou Reed (what an excellent album!)
- Une Danse des Bouffons (A Jester’s Dance) by Marcel Dzama (a French play on words and some excellent soundtrack music)
- In The City by The Jam (one of my all-time favorites)
- The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henríquez (quite good)
- Copycat by David Yow (who is also the singer from Jesus Lizard)
- Excavation: A Memoir by Wendy C. Ortiz (loved this book)
- My reviews for the first issues of the new Doctor Who comics also appear at P-Mag now.
- Twee: The Gentle Revolution in Music, Books, Television, Fashion, and Film by Marc Spitz (I had mixed feelings/concerns.)
ALSO! Since today is the day that we finally, finally get a new season of Doctor Who, starring my favorite Scottish boyfriend, it's only right that I wrote a post at P-Mag called "5 Fantastic Moments Since 'The Time of The Doctor.'"
(One of those 5 things is a very mild spoiler, be warned.)
I'm not going to round up every single news post I've made since the last Internal News update, but my most recent has lots of news sources for what's going on in Ferguson, MO, and also stuff on sharks, the ice bucket challenge, and my favorite Simpsons episode. Do click though.
Is that it? I think that's it, unless Quirk Books finally published that Book Arts post I sent them ages ago.... I should look into that. I am taking off September from P-Mag so I can work on both fiction and getting the WR blog looking shiny, but I do have a few book reviews I will be throwing here.
Also, with any luck, this week I'll be writing up some Record Machines that will post throughout September, so fingers crossed that I get myself ahead of the game.
Until next time, friends.