Thursday, September 13, 2012

Book Blogger Appreciation Week: Books I Am Shoving into Your Hands

One more post in honor of Book Blogger Appreciation Week: It's time for me to make some fervent declarations of love for a handful of books I am constantly recommending to everyone.

Recent-ish Reviews:


Life on Mars by Tracy K. Smith: Seriously some of the best poetry I've ever read. Earns its Pulitzer ten times over. Even if you're not in the habit of reading poetry, I still recommend this book.


Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter: One more time with feeling! Read this novel and improve your life. Side effects include wanting to hug Walter's face off because he's so goddamn good.


Hide Me Among the Graves by Tim Powers: A surprise love for me. Eerie, compelling 3AM reading.


From Earlier This Year:


It Chooses You by Miranda July: Unusual yet fascinating... memoir? Memoir isn't the right word for this book, but whatever it is, I loved it.


Banned For Life by D.R. Haney: What a great rock n roll novel.


Wild by Cheryl Strayed: Okay, because this one has Oprah's blessing, you may be tempted to skip it if you've never heard of Strayed before. Don't be scared off. This book is wonderful.


The Unreal Life of Sergey Nabokov by Paul Russell : I'd never heard of this book until it turned up from the publisher. What an excellent surprise. It's beautiful and sad and excellent.


Echolocation by Myfanwy Collins: I called it a perfect little book. It is.


Shameless:


Infinite Disposable by Myself and Tyson Habein: "Infinite Disposable is a collection of flash fiction by Sara Habein paired with surreal black and white film photography from Tyson Habein. Its otherworldly stories shift through loss, loneliness, and the passage of time. Each cover is handmade and signed by both author and photographer."


(What? If you're looking for something you've never heard of, may as well promote my own gig.)


We will be back to the actual book reviews here shortly.

7 comments:

  1. Wow...haven't heard of any of these books. THANKS.

    Lovely blog.....NEW FOLLOWER.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2012/09/book-blogger-appreciation-week-day-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love seeing all these book recommendations - I'll definitely be checking out a few, including Wild!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Beautiful Ruins very close to the top of my pile. Glad to see your rave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read Beautiful Ruins! Thanks for suggesting it.

    ReplyDelete