Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Record Machine: My Ever Changing Moods by The Style Council

Record Machine is an ongoing project where I document my vinyl collection. Photos of varying quality, compulsive list-makin', inventory-takin'. (Somewhat predictably, this is where I nicked the title for the project.)

The Style Council - My Ever Changing Moods



I got this album for ONE DOLLAR at Jackpot! Records in Portland, Oregon. I got it at the same time as picking up a Paul Weller Hit Parade CD and Echo & The Bunnymen's Ocean Rain, also on CD. ONE DOLLAR. How could I say no to that? I already knew I loved the title song, and it would cost me at least that to download it. And we all know that physical copies are more satisfying, right?



Overall, it's a bit of a strange album and a mishmash of styles, including the classic Weller SlowJam, "You're The Best Thing." The bios on the back are rather funny, and once again, I can manage to tie things back to Oasis -- Steve White drums on this album. His brother Alan, of course, was Oasis drummer #2.

Also, the epigram from Jean Paul Marat is still relevant for today:



Everything still plays well and the cover's just a bit worn, and I don't know why this was marked down so much except maybe that Americans have forgotten about Style Council. It even still has the liner notes inside, which you certainly wouldn't expect in a $1 LP.

The video makes me giggle. The road bikes on an obvious trailer! The weird small helmet! And yet, Weller still manages to own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment