Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Liner Notes #3: Suggested Gems

Liner Notes is my ongoing music column with Electric City Creative. Each issue, I post supplementary material to the column’s topic on this site. In Issue #3, I talk about the thrill of discovering new music.

Here then are some gems in my music collection for suggested listening:

1. "I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine" - Beth Orton



Beth Orton covers The Ronettes. From her album Trailer Park, it's a lovely little highlight near the end. I prefer it to the original, I must say. The original is too big and soaring for such a melancholy song, but I suppose that anything produced by Phil Spector is "big." Beth's understated arrangement gets it just right.

2. "Walk in Fire" - Doves



I know I regularly mention this song when referring to Doves, but listen to it. It's a great, great song. Really, do yourself a favor and get their album Some Cities. It's one of my all-time favorites.

3. Don't Burst My Bubble - Small Faces



I love, love, love this song. Small Faces didn't quite get enough love in the US during their time. You want to know the origins of BritPop? It's not all about the Beatles, kids. Give these lads a gander. As soon as I heard this song on a compilation CD I received with Q Magazine, I knew I had to include it my book.

4. "Early Morning Grey Sky Rain Cloud Blues" - The Asa Hawks



Their name taken from a character in Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood, The Asa Hawks are a Leeds band fronted by a friend of mine, Katy Raine. Influenced by Ryan Adams, Americana and Southern Gothic literature, the band has been playing around the Leeds area for the past year. They are currently unsigned, but you can download a selection of their songs on Reverb Nation. How lucky for me that my favorite song that I've heard so far is the one with a video. Do give them a listen.

5. "Some of These Days" - Andrew Bird



From his 1998 album Thrills, this lovely little closer features quite often in Andrew Bird's encores. When I saw him play in Spokane a couple years ago, he and tourmate Josh Ritter performed it to the packed Bing Crosby theater. Unfortunately, I don't have video of that particular performance, but this one will certainly do.

No comments:

Post a Comment